Tuesday 6 May 2008

I Sing the Coffee Machine Elektra


Ain't she a beauty! La Belle Epoque. None but the Italians could design a machine so drop dead gorgeous. Although The Coffee Concierge cannot resist saying that the eagle on the top looks a tad triumphually French. But I will undoubtedly be flamed by Italians and French for saying that.

This is a model of a coffee maker from the Italian company, Elektra, which was on display at the Food and Hotel Asia 2008 in Singapore. One imagines that this was a coffee maker made to sit in the coffee lounges of large, grandiose hotels in Europe when large, grandiose hotels were still the "in" thing and are now replaced by large, grandiose bathrooms and sleek private quarters with diminished public spaces. However this model is actually available in this 21st century believe it or not.

*"I Sing the Body Electric" by Ray Bradbury is the title of one of my favourite science fiction books for those of you wondering why I have such an unusual title. Yes, the Coffee Concierge has a geeky side.

3 comments:

Katong Gal said...

La Belle Epoque was, going by linguistic ownership, French. Did you try the coffee from the machine?

Mandy said...

It did sound French but the company that makes it is definitely italian. I didn't try any coffee as I don't think it was actually set up to dispense coffee just then.

Anonymous said...

Heh... I thought you got it from the movie "Fame"... it was the finale from there too.

Take a look at this from Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWKDh2Cq5Y

By the way, I don't drink a lot of coffee but the coffee I drink must be great. Recently, I've discovered the joys of Nespresso. I was quite skeptical about those single dispense machines, but there are excellent.

I usually drink Expresso or Kopi O Gao... not a big milk fan.

Great blog.

DD